Wednesday, August 6, 2008

August 6, 2008

Home at last! I arrived home Monday night actually, but my brain was completely fuddled so I did not try to write.

Sunday morning there was a Morning Prayer service led by the Chaplaincy Team. I was not there as I was reading the final draft of the reflections Document. Bible Study gathered for the final time in this format. The study provided a time for each of us to identify one task at home that we wanted the group to “commission us” to carry out and for which they would pray. It was a very moving time of prayer.

The last Indaba Group gave us time to think about trying to translate our process for others on arrival home. There is a certain amount of “you had to be there to understand”. I think that those who have been to any Christian community building program like Cursillo, Alpha, TEC, Mission program, can begin to understand the intensity with which relationships build. The work that has been done has equipped new bishops for their ministry, both with personal support networks and with practical skills. There was an air of hope as we moved into the afternoon plenary session.

There were the usual thank you’s to those who had planned and run the Conferences for bishops and spouses. Then we had ++Rowan’s closing address. I expect that the text either is already, or will be published on the Communion web site. The main disappointment for me is that he is going to call a Primates’ meeting soon. There were many criticisms of the Primates’ meeting as an instrument of unity in the written notes from the Indaba Groups and I had hoped that they would stay quiet until after the Anglican Consultative Council meeting next May. However, if their meeting can be planned to rebuild relations among them, and not turn into another bullying session, it could be helpful. Unfortunately, if they meet, some other work won’t happen because the Communion budget has very limited money.

The closing Eucharist in the Cathedral in Canterbury was much more relaxed than the opening one, and just as impressive. Bishop Ellison Pogo from the province of Melanesia celebrated and ++Rowan preached. After communion, ++Rowan read out the names of the seven Melanesian brothers killed when they tried to intervene to make peace in the Solomon Islands. Then the Melanesia Brothers and the Sisters of the Church from the Solomon Islands knelt in the center of the Cathedral and chanted their Litany for Martyrs. They rose and continued to chant the litany while they carried the list of names to the Chapel of Martyrs on the side of the Cathedral. I don’t think there was a dry eye in the place!

After the service, the Cathedral provided a great buffet dinner with wine or a Brew called Bishop’s Finger! There was a Big Band playing dance music so soon there were several purple dancers up enjoying the music!

Packing the suitcases with the many books and papers that I had collected was a challenge, since I did not want to have to pay the charges for overweight suitcases!

Morning came early enough and I loaded the suitcases down the stairs and across to the bus stop. The young Stewards who have been helping with everything were there to help with the heavy stuff. They got us onto to the coaches and off to Heathrow. The one on the coach phoned ahead as we arrived at each terminal so there were volunteers there with carts for us and helped us find our way to the Air Canada space in terminal 3. They were wonderful! However, Air Canada has not automated anything there! I did pass the weight test though and, having sent the luggage through, was free to roam the shops in the airport. Despite it being Duty Free, there were no bargains! A kind person at home had given me a pass to the Air Canada lounge, so I was able to get some breakfast and read in comfort until the flight was called.

On the plane, the flight attendant came by with newspapers. The one I picked had a front page article on the Lambeth Conference. I had a hard time recognizing where I had been from the description in that article! I traded with the person beside me and found it had a front page article with a photo of ++Rowan saying, ‘Same sex Blessings must stop!’, alongside an article on a Church England Clergyman who had just celebrated his marriage to his male gardener who wore a pink veil saying, ‘I am the Bride’! Go figure!!!

Across the aisle from me was a potential candidate for ordination in our Diocese who was coming to NS for the month of August, and who had been praying for the Conference throughout. I had spoken to her in the Check In line and she joked that she would probably end up sitting beside me!

Today I have watched the DVD that they sent home with us from Lambeth. It has lots of interviews and photos and footage of the Conference. I have given it to the Resource Room so folks can borrow it.

I have been astonished how many people from wide spread places have followed my reflections for the Diocese. To those of you who prayed, thank you. As I continue to reflect, I will from time to time post a message here again. A notice will appear on the web site whenever that happens.

+Sue

No comments: