Friday, May 1, 2009

May 1, 2009 From Jamaica

May 1, 2009

Well I am here in Kingston, Jamaica! I am reminded of the Dr Seuss book “O the Places You’ll Go!”

I met up with other Canadians in the Toronto airport. Suzanne Lawson is our lay delegate, Marites Sison is with Anglican Journal and Alice Medcoff is with the Inter Anglican Women’s Network. We also traveled from Toronto with the Rev’d Laurence Minabe from Japan.

Here in Kingston, Jamaica, it is 29 degrees and overcast. But in the hotel, the sun is shining. The welcome is friendly from all those I have met so far. On arrival, I met Jolly Babiramaku, a lay woman from Uganda whom I met at these meetings three years ago. She tells me my hair has changed! The Joint Standing Committee had been meeting so Archbishop Rowan came by as I was checking in. I had tea with Bishop Cathy Roskam from New York and Professor Ian Douglas from Episcopal Divinity School. Professor Douglas spoke about a course that they offer at EDS in the years when The Episcopal Church General Convention meets. It lasts one week and the students learn about the workings of the convention, both formal and informal. The course can be taken by distance education, so some dioceses sign up their delegates for orientation.

In talking with Bishop Kumara from Ceylon, I was reminded how difficult life is there, so please remember the Church in Ceylon in your prayers. At dinner, I renewed my acquaintance with Christina, now a priest in Cuba. Her love for God and her willingness to serve God’s people are an inspiration. Retired professor George Koshy is the Vice Chair of the Council and he has a son in Canada. A Canadian, the Rev’d Douglas Fenton, is here as the connection to the Inter Anglican Youth Network.

Tomorrow is a quiet morning with Archbishop Rowan. I am looking forward to it.

+Sue

No comments: