Saturday, July 26, 2008

July 26, 2008

It has been a beautiful warm day - warm weather, warm people.the day is the Bishop and the Environment. The hymns were wonderful – the lyrics of one by an Australian woman and the other by Brian Wren, but set to tunes well known to most.
One verse from Brian Wren:
“Let all creation dance
in energies sublime,

The Eucharist this morning was led by the Anglican Church of Australia. The theme of
as order turns with chance, unfolding space and time,
for nature’s art
in glory grows,
and newly shows
God’s mind and heart.”

The Bible study today was John 9:1-41. It is such a wonderful story of developing a relationship with Jesus. Our group member, who read it aloud for us, read the voice of the blind man as quite a shift from quite tentative to full of faith in Christ – I AM the man. We had a discussion about healing ministries in our various countries -a wide range of practices.

The Indaba Group this morning was focused on “Safeguarding Creation: the Bishop and the Environment.” This is a serious issue as some members of the Communion are losing their homes because the water has risen about 3 feet; others are experiencing drought, others severe weather disturbances. Our group needed to create a better space. We have been working a space that is too small and chairs that are arranged so I can’t see most people’s faces. After moving the furniture and rearranging ourselves, we decided to start today with “The View From Where We Sit.” Each province or diocese talked about what they saw the issues in the Communion to be, what the Communion means to them and ideas for the renewal of the Communion. Everyone began by saying that they are committed to the Communion and are prepared to be in respectful discussion with one another. This promises to be a fruitful discussion when it re-gathers on Monday. I think we have the extremes of views and behaviour within our Indaba so we can make any progress in discussion, it is a good sign!

The Listeners met for lunch to share out the work which must be in draft form by Sunday night since we have to make our first report on Monday morning! It’s going to be a late night tomorrow night!

This afternoon we were photographed for posterity! What a laugh! Take almost 700 bishops, most of whom are more used to organizing others than being told where to go, and try to get them on 10 rows of bleachers by telling those over 6 ft to sit down first and then working down in height but up the rows of bleachers. You will find me very near the top row. I couldn’t see where Bishop Ron was. While we were there we all sing “Amazing Grace” which was filmed by Tess Sisons who is here reporting for the Journal and the Anglican Church of Canada web site. (There are lots photos there.) After the big photo, the Canadians had a photo done, the women bishops had a photo, and then I was really tacky and asked to have a photo with Archbishop Rowan! Tess took it so it should turn out.

I worked on my sermon for tomorrow this afternoon. I will be at St. Mary the Virgin in Dover tomorrow morning. I hope to really see the white cliffs of Dover at some point! After evening prayer, we had a surprise talk by Archbishop Rowan. He reminded us that weekend is another turning point in the conference. So far we have mostly been focusing on the identity of the Bishop and the Bishop in mission. Next week we get to the idea of a covenant, the work of the Windsor Continuation group and discussions of Scripture and Sexuality. We were gently and clearly called to attend to the work at hand each day.

There are some fringe events tonight but they start late and go late so I am going to bed instead.

Have wonderful services this Sunday.

+Sue

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Bishop Sue,
Just a note to send you a very sincere thank you for your blog. I read it every morning with delight and aprayer of thanksgiving. You paint such an eloquent picture of all you are doing and seeing, and those you meet. It gives me a real sense of hope amidst all the gloom that our press seems to delight in producing. Writing it every day on top of the heavy schedule must need a great effort, so I wanted you to know how much your effort is appreciated.
PLEASE do not reply to this message - I am sure that you have far too many e-mails to deal with.
From Toronto, with my prayers,
Penelope Holeton
PS I sent this to Nova Scotia, and got your automatic message. Myfriend Chris Ambidge has now instructed me as to how to get a message to Canterbury.